Is it time to exchange your existing garbage disposal or are you looking for your first garbage disposer? GE makes some of the leading appliances, so it pays to take a look at what such disposers have to offer. You might just find the perfect unit for your household. The General Electric GFC520V is a super affordable disposal for your home and its entry level pricing makes it an incredibly attractive appliance option. The disposer has a sizeable capacity, a powerful grinder, and stainless steel components to ensure the unit’s durability. Additional highlights include:
- A 1/2 hp permanent magnet motor which is what is behind the disposer’s powerful grinding action. When on, the unit offers 2800 RPM, and the grinding action will pulverize the food waste it comes in contact with when in use.
- EZ Mount Installation makes the installation as easy as swapping out one unit, and twisting in the new.
- The powerful blades are stainless steel thereby lending to their durability.
- The dual swivel blades in the garbage disposal are anti-jam blades.
A lot of time and effort has been put into the design of the GFC520V. The unit installs so it connects to an on/off switch for ease of device control. The disposal has, not one, but two levels that precut the food waste and the impellers help to pulverize the material put into the unit. The parts are made of durable metals, all of which are jam-packed into a compact disposal weighing just over 9 pounds in all. The GFC520V measures 5.2” x 5.2” x 12.8” so it will easily slide into the most compact of under sink areas.
Size & Power / Noise
The GFC520V is equipped with a full sound insulation package so the grinder sound is minimized when you are using the appliance. The inclusion of a splash guard not only helps to ensure mess-free operation, but it also assists in keeping the noise to a minimum by keeping noise muffled at the throat of the garbage disposal and sink connection.
Feed & Grinder
The feed in the GFC520V is continuous. This means once you power on the garbage disposal you can continue to feed the biodegradable food waste into the unit without stopping. The disposal will, in turn, grind up the food waste you put into the unit as you go along. To use this unit, all you have to do is take out the sink stopper, turn on cold water so it’s flowing through the garbage disposal, and turn on the power to the unit. Then all you do is the scrape in the biodegradable food.
Pros of the General Electric GFC520V
- This garbage disposal has an excellent grind so it easily pulverizes waste.
- The insulation package that comes with the unit helps to reduce some noise.
- Simple to install.
- Comes with a one year limited warranty.
Cons of the Unit
- In order to install the General Electric GFC520V, you have to replace the sink flange before making the installation.
- The mount design that accompanies this garbage disposal is subpar, and only has two bolts when others have three.
- If the unit is not installed perfectly, it can collapse and you’ll have to reinstall the unit.
- Even though this is a quiet unit, some consumers perceive it as being loud, so there is an element of perspective playing a role in how noisy the unit is perceived.
- The unit is not sold with a jam wrench for clearing potential jams.
- The light exterior of the disposer sometimes vibrates and therefore adds to the noise the unit produces.
- The inlet diameter of the unit is only 3/4 of an inch, so the opening is relatively small.
Do’s / Don’ts
- Carefully review the installation instructions before you install the unit.
- If you are not sure how to install the disposer, ask someone for help.
- Use the unit on a regular basis to prevent it from seizing.
- Make sure you clean the unit regularly, either with ice cubes or with some soap and running water.
- Use lemon, lime, or citrus peels to freshen up the smell of the disposer.
- Refrain from putting oil or hot grease in the unit as it might clog the disposer.
The General Electric GFC520V is affordable and designed with durability in mind. Yet despite all of its durability and sound insulation, you’re still going to get a great deal of noise out of the device. If you hold price higher than silent operation, then the General Electric GFC520V is the perfect appliance for your household needs. We hope you find our General Electric GFC520V Garbage Disposer review useful.