If you’re in the market for a high quality, affordable garbage disposer, why not consider American made options? American made products are great choices economically speaking, so you’ll have no problem sticking to your budget. When you buy American, you’re supporting American workers too. While you’re at it, did you know you can buy American made and go green at the same time? The InSinkErator Badger 5XP is an entry to mid-level priced garbage disposal, depending on where you buy the unit. You’re getting an American made product when you invest in the 5XP, so you can support the American economy, jobs, and you can buy a unit that is environmentally friendly too. Additional product highlights include:
- The grind chamber is non-corrosive, durable, and long lasting because it’s made of stainless steel.
- The Dura-Drive® induction motor powers the unit and gives it plenty of power behind the grind.
- Three-year in home warranty: If something goes wrong with the disposer and it’s covered by the product warranty, you’ll have a specialist visit your home to fix it.
The InSinkErator Badger 5XP is a single stage grind unit, meaning it has one impeller plate that looks like a round disk. It is the disk that pushes food waste up against a grinder ring so the waste is pulverized into tiny particles. Imagine what the inside of your food processor looks like with the grater spinning, and you’ll get a basic idea of how the impellers work. Once the particles are made small enough, the unit passes the particles down the drain so it can go directly into the septic system.
Size & Power / NoiseThe Badger 5XP fits neatly into the tight space just below your kitchen sink. The light structure of the disposer makes it easy for you to install it as a do it yourself task too. The unit measures 6 5/16” in diameter by 12 5/8” high and it weighs just over 17 pounds. The unit is somewhat noisy as it lacks some of the anti-vibration parts more expensive units might offer, but the noise is not unreasonable considering your using a garbage disposal.
Feed & Grinder
The galvanized steel components inside the grind chamber of this disposal ensure the longevity of the unit. This disposer is a continuous feed unit, meaning you can turn it one, feed in the waste and continue to do so until you have disposed of all the biodegradable waste you want to grind up. There is no waiting like you would have to wait if you were using a batch feed disposal. The 3/4 horsepower generating motor gives the unit the extra power it needs for grinding and makes up the difference in grinding power for this single stage grinding unit.
Pros of the InSinkErator Badger 5XP
- Nine out of ten professional plumbers prefer InSinkErator garbage disposers because of their high-quality design, durable components, power, longevity, and price. The home warranty that comes with the unit is also one of the best in the industry.
- Quick Lock Sink Mount makes it easy to hook up the new unit when you are swapping out the old one.
- The Badger 5XP is perfect if you’re environmentally conscious and you want to limit the amount of trash you send to the landfill each year. With this unit, you can send biodegradable materials to the septic tank where it can degrade naturally. You reduce your carbon footprint and greenhouse gas emissions as well.
Cons of the Unit
- The single grinder technology is not as powerful as the dual or triple grind features in some other disposers.
- The unit is a bit on the noisy side.
- If you’re not familiar with how to install a garbage disposal, you may find the process cumbersome.
Do’s / Don’ts
- Run cold water when you are grinding biodegradable food with the InSinkErator Badger 5XP.
- Freshen up how the unit smells from time to time by grinding up lemon, lime, or orange peels in the disposal.
- Do not pour hot grease into this unit as it can accumulate and clog up the unit.
The InSinkErator Badger 5XP may not be the quietest unit on the market, but it is decently priced for the budget conscious consumer. The unit may not offer the grinding power of upper-level models either, but the 3/4 horsepower motor gives the single stage grinding action a bit of extra power. Essentially, the InSinkErator Badger 5XP is a great buy if the great price or buying American made is your priority, but if noise reduction and grinding power are your primary concern, you may want to opt for more expensive or alternative models. For more information on the top garbage disposals available, read or top list. We hope you find our InSinkErator Badger 5XP review useful.